YIELD: 4 SERVINGS
COMPLETE LEAN & GREEN MEAL: 1 LEANER, 3 GREENS, 1 HEALTHY FAT, 3 CONDIMENTS
TOTAL TIME: 45 MINUTES
- 1¾ lbs. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 3 cups water
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, deveined, and thinly sliced
- 6 cups spinach
- 1 1/3 oz. toasted cashews
- 4 scallions, trimmed and minced
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger root, cut into fine strips
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 2 small red bell peppers, seeded, deveined, and thinly sliced
- 2 small jalapeño peppers, seeded, deveined, and minced
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp garam masala
- Very gently poach the chicken in salted water until fully cooked, about 15 to 20 minutes. Once the chicken is done, plunge it into cold water to stop the cooking and cool it down. Reserve the broth for later use, pull the chicken into bite-sized pieces, and set aside.
- In a wok or pot, combine one cup of the reserved chicken broth with the sliced green pepper and cook for about 2 to 3 minutes until tender. Add the spinach and continue to cook until the spinach has wilted.
- Combine the spinach and pepper in a blender with the cashews and puree until smooth; set aside.
- In a wok or large skillet, combine the scallions, ginger, garlic, red peppers, jalapeno peppers, turmeric, and one cup of the reserved chicken broth. Cover with a lid and cook until the red peppers are tender.
- Stir in the pureed spinach, and continue to simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Add the chicken and simmer for one minute, or until chicken is heated through.
- Add the garam masala and remaining chicken broth. Serve warm.
Nutrition Facts: Per serving: 330 calories, 45g protein, 16g carbohydrate, 10g fat