Lean & Green Zucchini Lasagna
Only a few simple ingredients but a whole lot of flavor, this NEW Lean & Green recipe, developed by The Culinary Institute of America, is nothing but delicious. It may also be the EASIEST lasagna you’ve ever made. Designed with the busy lifestyle in mind, this healthy lasagna makes 4 servings, each with 1 leaner, 1 healthy fat, 3 green, and 3 condiments. Assemble in advance, bake when ready.
COMPLETE LEAN & GREEN MEAL: 1 LEANER, 1 HEALTHY FAT, 3 GREEN, 2 CONDIMENTS
TOTAL TIME: 60 MINUTES
1 lb. zucchini
¾ lb. fresh tomatoes, sliced 1/8-inch thick (about 2 cups)
1¼ lb. 96% lean ground beef
3 oz. light cream cheese
1 tsp salt, divided
½ tsp black pepper
1 cup whole basil leaves
1 cup shredded, reduced-fat mozzarella
- Using a mandolin or sharp knife, slice the zucchini into ¼-inch slices lengthwise to make lasagna “noodles” (should yield about 4 cups zucchini lasagna noodles). Sprinkle with a ½ teaspoon of salt and allow to sit for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the ground beef (browning meat prior to mixing is optional but not necessary) with the pepper, cream cheese, and remaining salt.
- Pat dry the sliced zucchini and put one layer into a casserole dish. Top the zucchini with a thin layer of each: the ground beef mix, basil leaves, and sliced tomatoes.
- Repeat step 3 until all of the layer ingredients are used. The last layer should be zucchini slices. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top.
- Bake in an oven at 425°F for 30 minutes until golden. Cut into 4 equally-sized portions and serve.
Nutrition Facts: Per serving: 330 calories, 16g fat, 9g carbohydrate, 43g protein