When you're following the Optavia 5&1 Program, each day you will eat/drink:
- 5 Fuelings (meals and snacks you purchase from Optavia directly). Each fueling is nutritionally interchangeable and contains high-quality protein which helps retain lean muscle mass, probiotic cultures which help support digestive health, and all of the essential vitamins, minerals, fiber needed as part of a balanced diet and healthy lifestyle.
- 1 Lean and Green (see this link for specifics on how to calculate your Lean and Green)
- Up to 2 Healthy Fats, determined based on your Lean
- A Healthy Fat should have 4-6 grams of fat, less than 5 grams of carbohydrates, and between 45-60 calories
- Up to 3 Condiments (optional)
- A condiment serving should contain no more than 1 gram of carbohydrate and be under 30 calories
- 1 Snack (optional) such as:
- 3 celery stalks
- 1 fruit-flavored sugar-free Popsicle®
- ½ cup serving sugar-free gelatin, such as Jell-O®
- Up to 3 pieces of sugar-free gum or mints
- 2 dill pickles spears
- ½ oz of nuts: almonds (10 whole), walnuts (7 halves), or pistachios (20 kernels)*
- *Be mindful that nuts are a rich source of healthy fat and additional calories — choose this optional snack sparingly.
- OPTAVIA Puffed Snacks or OPTAVIA Popcorn
- 2 Tbsp PB2 powder
- 64 ounces of water
Can I dine out while on Optavia?
YES! Optavia has made it super easy to accommodate dining out while on program. Here is a list of restaurants and compliant meals in the Dining Out Guide. When dining out, you should have your typical lean and green meal consisting of 5 to 7 ounces cooked lean protein, 3 servings of non-starchy vegetables, and 0-2 servings of healthy fats depending on your lean choices. Request that your meat be prepared/served without sauces and/or added fats; switch out starchy vegetable options (like potatoes) for lower carbohydrate choices (like steamed broccoli or a salad). Ask your server to skip the breadbasket or bowl of chips, and always get your salad dressing on the side.
How do I count cheese and dairy?
See this post for specifics: http://www.myjourneytoahealthyme.com/2020/11/cheese-and-dairy-on-optavia-how-does-it.html
How do I count Coffee Creamer?
We do not have a particular brand of creamer that we recommend, but you may use any creamer that fits either of the guidelines below, and count it accordingly:
4- 6 grams fat
< 5 grams carbohydrates
< 30 calories
< 1 g of carbohydrates
How do I count other foods?
I am compiling some of this information from Facebook posts from coaches, who have shared what Nutrition Support has told them. As with any information on this website, please confirm it yourself to ensure accuracy. If you have any comments or feedback, please comment so I can adjust as needed!
Per nutrition support, 13 ounces of oysters counts as 1 LEANEST portion on Optavia. Be sure to add 2 Healthy Fats!
SPARKLING OR FLAVORED WATER
Any zero calorie, zero carbohydrate beverages (LaCroix, Bubly, Aha, etc.) are permitted IN ADDITION TO the 64 oz of water each day. These do not count as anything, just a beverage in addition to the plain water. There is no limit to the amount of these beverages you may have each day, although we recommend using them in moderation.
Plain UNFLAVORED sparkling water and plain regular water may count towards your 64 oz of daily water intake. Keep in mind, we want to limit caffeine intake to 300mg or less per day.
- Traditional Cauliflower Pizza Crust (any flavor except plant based): 1 whole crust = 1 LEAN + 3 GREENS https://www.califlourfoods.com/collections/traditional-pizza-crusts
- Cali Lite Cauliflower Pizza Crust (any flavor except plant based): 1 whole crust = ½ LEAN + 3 GREENS https://califlourfoods.com/products/calilite-italian
- Cauliflower Flatbreads: 2 flatbreads = 1/3 LEAN + 2 GREEN https://www.califlourfoods.com/collections/flatbread
- Cauliflower Pizza Crust: 1 whole crust = 1/3 LEAN + 1 GREEN https://www.outeraislegourmet.com/products/cauliflower-pizza-crust
- Sandwich Thins: 3 thins = ½ LEAN + 1 GREEN https://www.outeraislegourmet.com/products/cauliflower-sandwich-thins
- Pizza Crust (Cauliflower, Zucchini, Italian Spinach, Broccoli, Mexi Cabbage & Kale flavors): 1 whole crust = 1/3 LEAN + 3 GREEN https://kboshfood.com/
REAL GOOD FOODS (all are high in fat & sodium so best used only on occasion)
- Chicken Crust Pizzas: 1 whole small pizza or ½ large pizza (1 serving) = 1 LEAN https://www.realgoodfoods.com/product/personal-7-pizzas/
- Enchiladas (all flavors except cheese enchiladas): 2 enchiladas = 2/3 LEAN https://www.realgoodfoods.com/product/enchiladas/
- Poppers: 4 poppers = 1 LEAN https://www.realgoodfoods.com/product/poppers/
- Chicken Alfredo Italian: 1 serving = 1 LEAN https://www.realgoodfoods.com/product/cannelloni-chicken-alfredo/
- Turkey Sausage Patties: 2 patties = ½ LEAN -or- 5 patties = 1 LEAN https://www.jimmydean.com/products/fully-cooked-sausage/links-and-patties/fully-cooked-turkey-sausage-patties
- Turkey Sausage Simple Scrambles Cup: 1 serving = 2/3 LEAN https://www.jimmydean.com/products/simple-scrambles/turkey-sausage-simple-scrambles
- Shrimp Burgers: 3 patties = 1 LEAN
- Salmon Burgers: 2 patties = 1 LEAN
- Tuna Burgers: 2 patties = 1 LEAN
- Mahi Mahi burgers: 2.5 patties =1 LEAN
- Turkey Burgers: 1.5 burgers= 1 LEAN
- Chili Lime Chicken Burgers: 2 burgers= 1 LEAN
- Crab Cakes: 3 crab cakes = 1 LEANER
- Turkey meatballs: 5 meatballs = 1 LEAN (limit to 1x a week due to sodium)
- Meatless Meatballs: 10 meatballs = 1 LEAN
- Langostino Tails: 7 oz = 1 LEANEST
- Riced cauliflower: ½ cup = 1 GREEN
- Riced cauliflower stir fry: ½ cup = 1 GREEN
- Jicama: ½ cup = 1 GREEN
- Green Goddess Dressing: 3 Tbsp = 1 HEALTHY FAT or 1 Tbsp = 1 CONDIMENT
- Organic Tomato Basil Sauce: ¼ cup = 1 GREEN
- Cauliflower Things = 2 thins = 1/3 LEAN + 1 GREEN
Bertolli Reduced Fat Alfredo Sauce: ¼ cup = 1 HEALTHY FAT https://www.bertolli.com/pasta-sauces/reduced-fat-alfredo/
Better Than Good Snacks: 1 bag = ½ LEANER https://betterthangoodsnacks.com/
Buc-ee’s Turkey Stix (currently only in Texas): 2 sticks = 1.5oz of PROTEIN
Butterball All Natural Turkey Burger: 6 oz = 1 LEAN https://www.butterball.com/products/turkey-burgers-and-meatballs/all-natural-white-turkey-burger
Cereal School: 1 bag = 1/3 LEANEST https://thecerealschool.com/products/cereal
Chompie’s Low Carb Multigrain/Cinnamon/Sesame Bread: 2 slices = 2oz PROTEIN https://chompies.com/product/low-carb-multigrain-bread/
Crepini Egg THINS with Cauliflower: 2 thins = 1 GREEN https://www.crepini.com/egg-thins-with-cauliflower (recommended to use on occasion because it is not very nutrient dense)
Crepini Egg WRAPS with Cauliflower: 1 wrap = 1 GREEN https://www.crepini.com/all-products/egg-wraps-with-cauliflower-large (recommended to use on occasion because it is not very nutrient dense)
FitCrunch Protein Puffs: 1 bag = ½ LEANER https://fitcrunch.com/puffs/
Healthy Choice Simply Steamers: Grilled Chicken and Broccoli Alfredo = 1 LEANER + 2 GREENS https://www.healthychoice.com/simply-steamers/grilled-chicken-broccoli-alfredo
Healthy Choice Simply Steamers: Grilled Chicken, Pesto, and Vegetable = 1 LEAN + 3 GREENS https://www.healthychoice.com/simply-steamers/grilled-chicken-pesto-vegetables
Healthy Noodle: 1/2 cup = 1 GREEN https://healthynoodle.com/products
ISO Poofs Cereal: 1 cup = 1/2 LEANER https://mpasupps.com/products/iso-poofs?variant=12582210863209
Jicama Tortillas: 2 tortillas = 1 GREEN https://centralmarket.com/product/fresh-jicama-tortillas7-5-oz/
Lifetime Cheese: 4oz = 1 LEANEST https://northwoodscheese.com/lifetime-cheeses/
Member’s Mark Pulled Pork or Chicken: 6oz = 1 LEAN https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-mark-pulled-pork-2-pounds/prod21051154 / https://www.samsclub.com/p/members-mark-seasoned-pulled-chicken/prod22131896
Morey's Marinated Wild Alaskan Salmon Fillet Seasoned Grill (Costco): One 6oz fillet = 1 LEAN https://www.moreys.com/product/seasoned-grill-wild-alaskan-salmon/
Palmini Noodles/Rice: 1 serving (75g) = 1 GREEN https://eatpalmini.com/
Peanut Butter Powder (PBFit or PB2 or Trader Joe's): 1 Teaspoon = 1 CONDIMENT; 2 Tablespoons = 1 OPTIONAL SNACK https://pbfit.com/product/pbfit-original/ / https://shop.pb2foods.com/products/pb2-original-powdered-peanut-butter-peanut-butter-powder
Premier Protein Clear Protein Drink: 1 bottle = ½ LEANEST https://www.premierprotein.com/segment/clear-protein-drinks
Quest Protein Chips: 1 bag = ½ LEANER https://www.questnutrition.com/collections/quest-chips
Rao's Sauces: Tomato based sauces: 1/4 cup = 1 GREEN; Alfredo sauces: 2 Tablespoons = 1 HEALTHY FAT or 1 Tablespoon = 1 CONDIMENT https://www.raos.com/
Skinny Pasta: ½ cup = 1 GREEN http://skinnypastausa.com/
Trident Pacific Salmon Burger (Costco): 1.5 burgers = 1 LEAN https://www.tridentseafoods.com/browse/products/trident-seafoods-alaska-salmon-burgers-3-lb/
Tyson Fully Cooked Blackened Chicken Breast Strips: 6oz = 1 LEANER https://www.tyson.com/products/blackened-flavored-chicken-breast-strips/
Two Good Greek Yogurt: 2.5 servings (total of 13.25 oz) of any flavor = 1 LEANER http://www.goodyogurt.com/lower-sugar-yogurt/ (Each 5.3oz container is one serving)
Walden Farms: ALL PRODUCTS: 1 serving = 1 CONDIMENT (check label for 1 serving) https://www.waldenfarms.com